Thursday, May 21, 2009

The true meaning of summer

I got stuck in a little traffic on the way to work this morning and, as I idled, I began thinking about how and why I like summer so much. While I didn't come up with anything groundbreaking (it's hot, which means I can wear shorts and drink on patios), I did come up with one very important thing that I do not like about summer. And that, ladies and gents, is old men. More specifically, old men jogging. Even more specifically, old men who feel the need to go running without shirts on. Okay, I get it, it's hot out. But come on gramps, keep the clothes on. Honestly, I drove past three members of the 60+ crowd going for a run today, all without shirts, all very white-haired and hairy, and all with bigger tits than most women I know. Even when I see a young guy, in good shape, perhaps even ripped going for a jog (like me...just kidding...I don't jog) without a shirt on, I still have to wonder what he's trying to prove. But old men? Yikes. Let's keep it PG here, folks....Switching gears, does anyone else find it funny that a bunch of German movie critics are really pissed off about the realism of Quentin Tarantino's new Nazi-killing movie, Inglourious Basterds? They are saying that the flick doesn't differentiate between Nazis and regular Germans and that it doesn't stick to historical facts. I'll give them their first argument, because clearly not all Germans were Nazis, but as for history, this is a Tarantino movie. Dude's not exactly known for making movies that could or have happened in real life. Have we all seen Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bills? I don't think he's ever said that Basterds is based on a true story, so can we all just relax and enjoy watching Nazis being tortured and scalped? Because that sounds awesome...Michael Vick just got out of jail and is serving the remainder of his dog fighting sentence under house arrest. Think he'll be allowed to have pets to keep him company?...Wal-Mart has announced that it won't carry Green Day's new album because the band won't offer a censored version of the record. Seriously? Since when did a bit of swearing become the end of the world? Are we in 1920 still? If that's the case they should probably stop selling condoms and makeup marketed to 7-year olds, too.

No comments: