Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cars, cell phones and bike cops: Based on a true story

Knock knock.
Who's there?
"Get off your cell phone, now."
Get off your cell phone, now, who?
"It's against the law now."
...I don't get it.
That pretty much sums up the exchange I had with one of Ottawa's finest over the lunch hour today.
I had just dropped a friend off at at work after our weekly-or-so pilgrimage to the Elgin Street Diner and was cruising up Elgin on my way to work when I stopped at a red light. As I idled, an Ottawa Police officer rolled up on his bicycle. As I continued to idle, my car dealership called me to tell me how much they plan to gouge me for today for some minor car repairs.
I was talking to James (his real name) from the dealership, when Constable Tight Bike Shorts rapped his bike glove-covered knuckles on my passenger-side window.
I jumped, thinking that I was about to get car jacked by a homeless person and then, noticing Bikey McGee glaring at me, rolled down the window.
That's when the above exchange took place.
My stunned response to the not particularly nice officer's demand that I hang up my phone because it was no illegal to drive while chatting was something really intelligent like "Oh, is it?"
His snarkey response was something like: "Would I tell you it was if it wasn't?"
Good point.
So, in the span of about 17 seconds I learned a couple valuable lessons. The first, the law governing cell phone use in cars that I thought was ABOUT to come into effect, is, in fact, in effect now. The second, cops patrolling the streets on bicycles are more grumpy than those riding in cruisers or on motorcycles. I attribute this to the fact that they have to exercise while working and are dressed in less-than-flattering bike clothes.
The point is, get a headset, folks.

No comments: